recently i've been integrating po4a into the DC++ <http://dcplusplus.sf.net>
help system, which uses HTML files compiled in a CHM file.
here are a few remarks, didn't want to send separate messages or bug
reports; if i should, please tell me.
1) the XHTML component inlines some tags like <b>, <i>, but forgets <u>
which is for underlining text. this results in a few texts that are cut out
of their context.
2) since DC++ is mainly a Windows app, it can be cross-compiled but i
compile it under Windows. i've installed po4a pretty easily using Cygwin
<http://www.cygwin.com/>, which helps provide many of the nix tools under
Windows. the only problem i encountered was paths containing "::" in
po/pod.cfg; i replaced each "::" with a ".", and it worked fine.
i also added a few batch files in Cygwin/bin with the same names as the po4a
programs (eg "po4a-gettextize.bat" for "po4a-gettextize"), so that they can
be called from outside the Cygwin Shell, each batch file containing:
bash --login -i -c "cd '%CD%'"
bash -c '%0 %*'
[my initial e-mail about this can be found at
3) some of our HTML files have been created on Windows, and thus had DOS
line endings (CR LF). po4a-gettextize parsed them fine, but there were some
lines ending incorrectly in the generated .pot file; eg:
"blah blah 1st line
blah blah 2nd line"
which should have been:
"blah blah 1st line"
"blah blah 2nd line"
i solved it by converting the DOS files into nix format (LF only), but it
would be nice if po4a could actually interpret CR's as line delimiters.
4) when using po4a-translate, and the "-k" option condition is not met, it
would be useful if the program returned an error code.
5) out of curiosity, do you know if po4a works on ActivePerl?